As a member of the Canon Inc. family of companies, Canon Virginia, Inc. ("CVI") is committed to protecting your privacy. This Online Privacy Statement describes the information we collect from you online, and how that information will be used. Please read this Privacy Statement carefully. Should you have any questions, please refer to the end of the Privacy Statement for information on how to contact us.
You may visit our web site and not provide us with any information that can identify you. But if you decide to contact CVI to, for example, apply for a job, order a product from us, request an estimate or submit product specifications, download certain software or service applications, enter a contest or sweepstakes, or inquire about products you may already own, we may collect information as needed, including your name, email or postal address, phone number and payment information ("Personal Information") as well as more specific information relating to your inquiry. If you represent a CVI business partner or supplier, you may be directed to certain CVI web pages intended specifically for you to place or fulfill orders or to deliver or obtain product or service specifications. We may use information you provide on any our web pages to administer and develop our business relationship with you, the business you represent, and CVI's business partners generally. We may also periodically obtain Personal Information about you from other Canon companies, business partners, service providers, and contractors acting on our behalf and add it to other information we have collected about you. Examples of such information include updated credit, delivery and address information, purchase history, and fulfillment information.
We also collect non-personal information from various sources. This information, also known as anonymous or aggregate data, is data in a form that does not permit direct association with any specific individual:
Information collected automatically. When you visit our web site, we collect certain information automatically. This information may include your IP address, information about your device or browser type and language, the date and time you are accessing our web site, and the referring web site address. It may also include technical data about the Canon products you are using.
- Cookies. When you visit our web site, we may assign your computer one or more "cookies." A cookie is a small text file that contains information that can later be read by us to facilitate your access to our web site and personalize your online experience. For example, if you are a registered user of our web site, we may record your user ID in a cookie file on your computer. If applicable, we may also record your password in this cookie file if you have chosen to save your password. Also, through the use of a cookie, we may automatically collect information about your online activity on our web site, such as the web pages you visit, the links you click, and the searches you conduct. Most browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies by visiting the Help portion of your browser's toolbar. If you choose to decline cookies, please note that you may not be able to sign in or use some of the interactive features offered on our web site.
- Other Technologies. We may use standard Internet technology, such as web beacons (also called clear GIFs or pixel tags) and other similar technologies, to track your use of our web site. We also may include web beacons in e-mail messages, newsletters and advertisements to determine whether messages have been opened and acted upon. The information we obtain in this manner enables us to customize the services we offer and measure the overall effectiveness of our online content and the products and services we offer through the web site.
- Use by Third Parties. We may allow third-parties, including our authorized service providers, advertising agencies and marketing partners to use tracking technologies, such as cookies and web beacons, on our web site to collect non-personal information about your visits to this and other websites. This information generally enables them to track and gauge the effectiveness of our web site and of various marketing campaigns and to serve ads about goods and services that may be of interest to you when you visit other web sites across the internet.
Financial Information. We may use financial information or payment method to process payment for any purchases or sales made on our web site, to protect against or identify possible fraudulent transactions, and otherwise as needed to manage our business.
Our customers are a critical component of our business and we are not in the business of selling or renting your personal information to third parties. We are part of the Canon Inc. family of companies and may share your information with our parent company, subsidiaries, and affiliates. We also may share information with other companies and individuals acting on our behalf to fulfill and/or ship an order; to conduct surveys, contests or sweepstakes; to perform business and sales analysis; to communicate with you; collect or process payments; provide data processing or data storage processes on our behalf; or to provide a product or service you have requested. We also may periodically share your contact information with selected non-Canon companies with whom we have partnered to provide you with information about products and services we believe you may find of interest. In addition, if you inquire about a product that CVI does not sell directly, we may forward your contact information to a partner, distributor or other reseller, and they may reach out to you about your product needs.
We also may share the aggregate information we collect with third parties, including service providers and marketing partners, for the purpose of conducting general business analysis. For example, we may tell our marketing partners the number of visitors to our web site and the most popular features or services accessed. This information does not contain any personal information and may be used to develop web site content and services that we hope you will find of interest.
In any event, the third parties with whom we conduct business are obligated to use your information only to perform the service for which they are hired.
Finally, we also may share your personal information:
- In response to a subpoena or similar investigative demand, a court order, or a request for cooperation from law enforcement or other government agency; to establish or exercise our legal rights; to defend against legal claims; or as otherwise required by law. In such cases, we may raise or waive any legal objection or right available to us.
- In connection with a substantial corporate transaction, such as the sale of our business, a divestiture, merger, consolidation, or asset sale, or in the unlikely event of bankruptcy.
If you no longer wish to receive communications from CVI, or if you wish to update your e-mail address in our records, please Contact Us.
Some of our web sites may provide you with a choice as to whether you want to receive e-mail messages about special offers. You will be given the opportunity in any commercial e-mail that we send to you to opt out of receiving such email messages in the future. Please note that we may send you other types of transactional and relationship e-mail communications, such as service announcements and administrative notices without offering you the opportunity to opt out of receiving them.
Links. There are a number of places on our web site where you may click on a link to access other web sites that do not operate under this Privacy Statement. For example, if you click on any link found in our Community Involvement web pages to one of our local community partners, you may be taken to a web site that we do not control. These third-party web sites may independently solicit and collect information, including personal information, from you. We recommend that you consult the privacy statements of all third-party web sites you visit by clicking on the "privacy" link typically located at the bottom of the webpage you are visiting.
Job applicants. When you submit an application or resume online to apply for a position with our company, we use third party service providers to assist with the process of collection, maintenance and analysis of candidate submissions. Some of these third parties are not affiliated with CVI and they may maintain separate privacy policies that govern the transfer of your information. Should you have any questions about the privacy practices of these companies, we recommend that you contact them directly. CVI may retain your application for a period of time for the purpose of considering your application for current or future available positions. Your applicant information may be shared with Canon Inc. and/or other Canon companies for the purpose of evaluating your qualifications for the particular position or other available positions.
When you submit information to CVI through our web sites, you should be aware that your information is transmitted across multiple computer systems on the Internet. Although we implement reasonable physical, administrative and technical safeguards to protect your information, data security technologies constantly are evolving. Because no method of transmitting or storing electronic data on the Internet is ever completely secure, we cannot guarantee that such information will never be accessed, used, or released in a manner that is inconsistent with this Statement.
This Privacy Statement is intended to cover collection of information on our web site from residents of the United States. If you are visiting our web site from outside the United States, please be aware that your information may be transferred to, stored, and processed in the United States where our servers are located and our central database is operated. The data protection and other laws of the United States and other countries might not be as comprehensive as those in your country. By using our services, you understand that your information may be transferred to our various facilities within and outside the United States and those third parties who process information on our behalf, as described in this Privacy Statement.
This Statement was last updated effective July 1, 2013. CVI reserves the right to change this Privacy Statement at any time. If we make any material changes to this Statement, we will notify you by posting notice of the changes on our web site. Changes will be effective immediately upon posting on the web site. Your continued use of our web site following the postings of changes to these terms means you accept these changes.
California Civil Code Section 1798.83 gives California residents the right to request, from a business with whom the California resident has an established business relationship, certain information with respect to the types of personal information the business shares with third parties for direct marketing purposes by such third party, and the identities of the third parties with whom the business has shared such information during the immediately preceding year. To request a copy of the information disclosure provided by CVI pursuant to California Civil Code Section 1798.83, please contact us at the address listed below.
Should you have questions or concerns about this Privacy Statement, please Contact Us or mail your inquiry to Canon Virginia, Inc., 12000 Canon Boulevard, Newport News, VA 23606.